Re: [LAU] [Off topic] DIY Theremin

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Dec 31 2018 - 16:27:47 EET

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 14:49:22 +0100, Dominique Michel wrote:
>Another issue is that I have no hardware to test it, I jumped directly
>to MIDI instruments in the eighties.

Me too! Friends owned and still own CV/gate instruments, but they just
used it before we made music together, the Prophet 5s of a friend for
example are all MIDIfied. I started with the first DX7 and even my
Oberheim Matrix-1000 doesn't provide CV/gate anymore, but it provides
a guitar synth mode, each voice of a sound could get its own MIDI
channel. Until now I didn't use the Matrix-1000 with my Roland GR-55.
I guess it takes more than just a MIDI channel for each string, to get
the full guitar synth experience. Nowadays a lot of new synth provide
CV/gate again, but I tend to buy proprietary virtual synth instead of
new hardware synth. On proprietary platforms, unfortunately not on
Linux, they work nearly as good as CV/gated modular rack synth when
using a host such as Cubasis on iOS and they nearly sound as good as
Curtis CEM Chip based hardware synth, while some of them emulate real
synth quite good.