Re: [LAU] Firewire latency

From: Susanne Schneider <suseguitar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2021 - 16:00:13 EET

I'm running a Focusrite Saffire Pro10 into a Thinkpad T520 quadcore, the
same set is available in my homestudio a second time for redundance.
The Saffire, a 8-mic-channel device, is fully supported by FFADO, I can
handle hardware-monitoring completely via FFADO-mixer - try to buy a
actual offered device with similar capabilities AND full Linux-support -
your effort will fail, it's a shame...

I'm using FFADO and Jack, I don't need very low latencies because all
monitoring will be managed by the Focusrite device,
so I usually use something around 512/3. Very lower settings are
possible, also 64/3 is possible, but I don't need it.
Sometimes I'm getting xruns also with higher settings because of the
internet connection.
When switching off internet completely it's ok.
Up to now I even didn't know of any alternative to FFADO.

I'm upset by the develoment of laptops having no more fw anymore, no
pc-card, no DC/DVD... connectivity is drastically reduced and I do not
want to buy such a castrated machine.
If my Thinkpads would die, I would buy the same used machines again on
ebay, the quality and standing is excellent and there is still a
sufficient offer to find on second-hand-market.
best
-s