Re: [LAU] mididings alternative for ubuntu studio 20.04 and newer?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 27 2021 - 03:27:50 EET

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021, Athanasios Silis wrote:

> I recently migrated to ubuntu studio 20.04 and was wondering why no
> mididings package exists any more. When sure enough I has to do with
> dropping python2 and the lack of maintainers for mididings.
>
> How have you handled this ? Is there an alternative or do you reinstate
> python2 and build mididings ?

Can qmidiroute do what you need?

File a bug report with the mididings maintainer? To "reinstate" python2 in
many distros means use an older version... go back to 18.04 or something
like that. or find a distro that still keeps older pythons.

Mididings is not the only software affected for sure. What is likely with
many of these projects, is that the author's own system can't run their
own software at which point they decide to update or abandon it.

Bitrot is a thing. Any software without maintainance will just one day not
be usable.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net