Re: [LAU] project "droning": 10 years, 300 tracks

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 02 2021 - 06:22:00 EET

On 2/1/21 12:56 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey Roger!
>
> Yeah, sure thing. Linux Audio has been an important period for me and
> it allowed me
> to take advantage of a workflow I would have not found anywhere else.
> I am sure I might come
> back to Kluppe and Qtractor from time to time. In fact, droning288 and
> droning289, "Suspended in Time",
> while mixed in FL Studio, were phase shifted through Kluppe, as well
> as droning290, "Clouds Drifting". So,
> at least partially, I kept using Linux Audio.

Interesting. I have a friend (singer/songwriter) that does pop music
songs. He's been using FL Studio since the days when it was just Frooty
Loops. ;)

I listened to Droning 300 today and the instruments sounded just like
the ones my friend uses in his FL Studio songs.

> But yeah, getting good sound and high quality mixing required tools
> that are simply unavailable on Linux today.

Really?
> Again, thank you for your kind words!

And thank you for 10 years of droning project tracks!
> [...]
> <mailto:gurusonic@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>
> On 27/1/21 11:48 am, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > In 2011 I announced project "droning"
> > <https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=music&t=droning
> <https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=music&t=droning>>, a
> project
> > dedicated to longform ambient music. You folks were the first
> people
> > to listen to it, since the majority of it was written using Linux
> > Audio tools and shared on this very mailing list.
> >
> > Today I have reached a milestone of 300 tracks, a nice round
> number.
> > This is also 10 years later! So seems like the right moment to
> finish
> > the project.
> >
> > I will, of course, continue producing ambient music, but simply
> in the
> > more usual form of albums on my Bandcamp
> > <https://louigi.bandcamp.com/ <https://louigi.bandcamp.com/>>.
> And project "droning" can be a nice
> > completed collection of longform ambient tunes, almost
> utilitarian in
> > nature.
> >
> > The story I tell about project "droning" is that some of the
> authors
> > of the software I used to make it with were listening to the tunes
> > while working on that same software 😂
> >
> > While I used most major Linux Audio apps for the project, including
> > Hydrogen and Ardour, the bulk of work was done with Rakarrack,
> Kluppe,
> > Qtractor, Din and several other soft synths.
> >
> > Recent tunes were made with FL Studio, which is why I no longer
> > promoted them on this mailing list. The last tune made
> completely with
> > Linux Audio was droning280, "Twilight Connection".
> >
> > Huge thanks for being my audience for the past 10 years, your
> support
> > meant a lot to me, and each time I finished a tune, I would rush to
> > post it here, knowing that some of you might enjoy it.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > <3
> >
> > Louigi Verona
> > https://louigiverona.com/ <https://louigiverona.com/>
> <https://louigiverona.com/ <https://louigiverona.com/>>
> >
> Congratulations on making such a solid body of work. It is
> interesting
> to hear the progression in production quality and composition over
> the
> years but it does seem timely to call the project complete and
> move on
> to different goals. I will never listen to all 300 of them however.
>
> I was slightly disappointed you have moved away from using Linux but
> your latest, Mystic Waters, is probably your best release yet (as I
> mentioned in a message when I purchased it from Bandcamp) so FL
> Studio
> seems to be the right tool for the job.
>
> Thanks for your contributions; I'm sure you have inspired others

David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."