Re: [LAU] pros and cons for audio backends of 2nd sound card

From: Chris Caudle <6807.chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 09 2021 - 18:53:44 EET

On 2021-02-08 15:58, Athanasios Silis wrote:
> Which audio adapter do you use to use a 2ndary sound card in jack?
> 1.jacl_load audioadapter
> 2. alsa_[in | out] ?
> 3. zita_[a2j | j2a] ?

I am not sure the state of audioadapter in jackd v2. When I need I use
zita_a2j, it is superior to alsa_in/out. Jackd v1 incorporated the
equivalent of the zita adapters into an internal client. Doing the same
for jackd v2 was on the list of development tasks a couple of years ago,
but I do not know the current status.

> why do you use the one you use? What are its advantages ? Have you
> identified or do you know of any disadvantages for each of the above ?

The problems in alsa_in/out and the solution in zita_a2j/j2a are
described in the paper authored by Fons:

https://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/papers/adapt-resamp.pdf

--
Chris Caudle