Re: [LAU] [RFC] A “poor man’s”, yet professional level studio setup

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 22 2021 - 20:37:19 EET

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:15 AM Francesco Napoleoni <
mlists@email-addr-hidden-odyssey.net> wrote:

> Aaahhh, this is the kind of discussion I wanted... :-)

Quick take: I think it's really only your insistence on using laptops that
forces most of this complexity on you.

Get a powerful desktop system. Run everything on one machine.

Yes, there are Rack patches that will eat even a Ryzen ThreadRipper, but
for the most part a powerful, large multicore system these days will run
everything you want on a single machine.

As far as synchronizing different applications, is this really a common
workflow? Yes, once Hydrogen was the goto solution for linux drum stuff
(and it's still a GREAT application). But with the advent of things like
DrumGizmo, you can now avoid the multi-application-sync-communication
issues and do most of each stage of musical production inside a single
application.