Re: [LAU] online calls with decent auido for music lessons

From: Brandon Hale <bthaleproductions@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 15 2021 - 19:26:47 EET

I have setup Jamulus servers at my institution, and I think it is one of
the best for users of all operating systems. It is simple to setup and
get running, and has features like automatic recording of sessions (it
creates a DAW project file with stems!) It also gives users control of
personal mixes, which is a unique feature. It has decently low latency
and doesn't do any audio ducking like zoom does. Just make sure users
use headphones so they don't feedback. I have even gotten good results
on wifi (believe it or not)! Not to mention, it is easy to compile on
servers that don't have the recent version in their repo.

It doesn't have video, but can be combined with something like zoom.
That is complicated, and doesn't work well with Windows, since Jamulus
needs Asio, and that takes over all audio on the system. I don't know
how zoom reacts to that, but that may take some additional testing with
Windows users.

With Jamulus, you can setup private and public servers. It is like an
internet chat room for audio where users can find a room and join.

Let me know if anything of what I typed interests you and I can gladly
talk to you about it more. The university I work at has been using it
now for about a year, and I used to do weekly jam sessions on it.

Brandon Hale