[linux-audio-dev] MIDI + Audio problems with OSS?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI + Audio problems with OSS?
From: David J. Topper (topper_AT_virginia.edu)
Date: pe syys   18 1998 - 16:57:07 EDT

Hi there folks,

So I have a very rough MIDI driver for RTCmix. Thanks, Rob, for the 1
byte at a time suggestion. It works quite well now. So I can do the
following:

1) Read a midi note
2) Process the info and send an RTCmix command through a socket
(localhost)
3) Have RTCmix receive the event and play it

all in real time. It's quite cool ... and the potentials soon become
enormous.

BUT ..............

When I really start banging on the thing ... stuff gets garbled. More
specifically, I seem unable to read MIDI data any more. I can kill the
process and start it again ... but with basically no effect. It looks
like somehow the driver becomes unstable.

I say this because I can connect (in step #2 above) to another machine
here in the lab. No problems. I can bang on the notes until kingdom
come and nothing freezes. This is what's making me wonder about how OSS
behaves while /dev/midi and /dev/audio are both being read/written to
quickly.

I am using the infamous APCI card and OSS/Linux 3.8.1q.

Anyone have similar experience.

DT

--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)