[linux-audio-dev] midi on a laptop

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] midi on a laptop
From: The Mitochondrion (mito_AT_panix.com)
Date: ke heinä  21 1999 - 12:06:23 EDT

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I haven't been able to find any conclusive
information on the web.

I would like to set up a laptop that can work with midi -- receive and
send midi data to and from external devices. I have software that
uses the OSS/Free libraries, so I would ideally like to use OSS/Free,
but in reality I am willing to code to any API as long as it works.

I don't know if I'll be getting a laptop that has a game/midi port, so
I might have to use a midi device attached to a serial or parallel
port.

Has anyone does this? What drivers are used? What devices do those
drivers work with? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Greg