Re: [linux-audio-dev] Q: OSS, MIDI and pipes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Q: OSS, MIDI and pipes
From: Stefan Nitschke (nitschke_AT_fzi.de)
Date: la heinä  24 1999 - 09:16:53 EDT

Jay Ts wrote:

> I had been thinking the same idea about a year ago relative to the /dev/dsp
> device, and quickly gave up on it. The problem then was that the finite size
> of the fifo buffer, added to the overhead of going through the filesystem
> driver, resulted in delays that were not acceptable.
>
> But that was back with Red Hat 5.0, and perhaps things are different now(?).

Sounds like a bad pipe implementation in linux... Anyway a MIDI device sends
at 19200 BAUD. If this would be too fast for linux pipes we should really try
to get a better unix implementation ;)

David Slomin wrote:

> In user space, at least, you create a pipe with the pipe() function, which
> I thought was a system call. You then open it and write() or read() like
> a normal file or device. I'm sure how to control the buffer size and
> whatnot... it'll probably require careful use of select() and possibly
> ioctl(). Sorry for my lack of kernel-level programming experience.

Pipe() is for sure a system call. I did a lot of kernel programming on a unix
edition 7 like 16-bit system several years ago, but have absolutely no kernel
programming experience with linux.
So again can someone tell me how do use system call functions from system
space?

- Stefan

nitschke_AT_fzi.de