Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What do we need now ?
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ti heinä  27 1999 - 14:08:02 EDT

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, reactor/CTPmedia wrote:

> >% PS: it is not the first time I do this, but I would like to urge people to
> >% use FLTK for the GUI of audio software. Fast, small, no bloat.
>
> i think we should prefer GTK+ instead, because it's more standard.
> every linux distribution has a GTK+ package.

Please folks, this isn't Usenet; this is very definitely lighter fluid for
a flame war. By arguing about toolkits you can easily alienate
developers, and this is such a small community we have here, we can't
afford to do that. Use what you personally prefer, and give advice only
to those who ask for it on that topic.

In the realm of alienation, don't forget the sad case of Audiotech. This
was _the_ big up and coming development project (or so it seemed) in this
community two years ago. It was meant to be a pro-level audio recorder
and editor (to put Sound Forge to shame), which, as Dave mentioned, is one
of the prime things we're still lacking. However, the project ground to a
halt after too much infighting due (so I'm told) to conflicting egos.
There's just not enough of us here to deal with such arguments, so lets
try our best to avoid them!

Div.

P.S. In response to Dave's call-for-projects, I'd talk about my
in-progress Java-based MIDI sequencer (which emphasizes having an
unprecedentedly strong editing interface rather than being a clone of
anything existing), but it's not far enough along, nor is it progressing
quickly enough to get anybody's hopes up.