[linux-audio-dev] audio-oriented kernels

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] audio-oriented kernels
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: to elo    05 1999 - 09:02:24 EDT

Paul Winkler discourseth:
> The hypothetical audio-oriented linux distribution seems to be a topic
> of some interest. Those folks interested might like to keep an eye on
> some kernel patches that might help us with the problems of realtime
> work (latency and dropouts):

I've been helping to test these patches. Saturday morning I could
reliably produce 50ms dropouts. With the latest patches (which
haven't been made public yet since we've been resolving stability
problems), I can't produce greater than 3ms dropouts.

> Roger Larsson <roger.larsson_AT_skelleftea.mail.telia.com> sent me that
> link for the Audio-Quality HOWTO. I asked if these patches might
> eventaully make it into the kernel; Roger replied that kernel 2.2
> feature freeze is imminent, but he has hopes for getting it into 2.4.

True if you add .2 to both those numbers. :)

> In the meantime, if the patches prove stable enough, we might think of
> distributing them with the audio distro.

I think they will be stable enough. If they're absent from the
standard kernel it may be as much because they point to areas that
really need to be rewritten. The kernel life-cycle isn't served by
making things more intelligently broken. :)

In addition to latency patches, I'm beginning to regard including a
patch that accerlerates the timer interrupt to greater than the
current 100hz as essential. It provides a means of escaping from
these monolithic applications that are clocked by the soundcard.

Regards,

Eric