Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio app timing architectures

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio app timing architectures
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: pe elo    06 1999 - 09:07:35 EDT

rob discourseth:
> hi,
> most x86 platforms have a real time clock in LSI, which can be set
> to 1024Hz without affecting most other drivers. adding the enhanced
> support for /dev/rtc will give you access to it.

Indeed. I even designed a nanosleep daemon (/tmp/rtcd :) that would
grab the rtc and serve `nanosleep requests' from multiple processes.
I wanted something like that, again, to get away from the monolithic,
my-app-seizes-the-hardware (in this case, /dev/rtc) approach. Given
that this would work on current distributions, maybe I should go with
it, even though changing HZ in the kernel seems more The Right Thing
to me.

Eric