Re: [linux-audio-dev] open plugin specification

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open plugin specification
From: Thomas Hudson (thudson_AT_cygnus.com)
Date: to elo    05 1999 - 17:49:50 EDT

Jarno Seppanen wrote:

> You can call me a cynic, but I'm afraid that if such a list was put
> up, there would be a lot of enthusiasm for a few months (weeks) but then the
> list would die. At least this has been my experience in the field of open
> source development so far, and I would love someone to prove me wrong!

Well, it is up to the instigator to push development. I think this effort
has managed to keep the scope narrow enough to not be overly ambitous. Many
projects fail because they

> Why not discuss here at linux-audio-dev? This list has also been
> struggling occasionally, so why not fill the list with wonderful discussion
> about competing plug-in drafts and the emergence of a winning specification?

I think the main reason for not doing it here, is that the effort includes
people interested in implementing the standard for their chosen platform:
win32, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

> BTW, the Portable Audio interface, or portaudio, resides at
> http://www.audiomulch.com/portaudio, and AFAIK it's been really quiet on that
> front since February.

This is why Ross took me up on the offer to start a mailing list for this
purpose. He wants to re-energize the discussion. The previous home of the
discussions was the music-dsp mailing list, where relevant topics are
often lost in a sea of random ASCII drivel.

Thomas