Re: [linux-audio-dev] open plugin specification

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open plugin specification
From: Jarno Seppanen (jams_AT_cs.tut.fi)
Date: pe elo    06 1999 - 02:10:04 EDT

est_AT_hyperreal.org writes:

> Whatever it's called, I think this topic deserves its own list! The
> potential impact of a successful spec is mind-boggling. I'd
> definitely like to see some draft specs and find out how convenient
> they are to code to. Given that this area is harder than it looks
> (well, it looks harder the harder *I* look at it :), I suspect that a
> winner will only emerge as various draft specs compete for mindshare.

        You can call me a cynic, but I'm afraid that if such a list was put
up, there would be a lot of enthusiasm for a few months (weeks) but then the
list would die. At least this has been my experience in the field of open
source development so far, and I would love someone to prove me wrong!

        Why not discuss here at linux-audio-dev? This list has also been
struggling occasionally, so why not fill the list with wonderful discussion
about competing plug-in drafts and the emergence of a winning specification?

        BTW, the Portable Audio interface, or portaudio, resides at
http://www.audiomulch.com/portaudio, and AFAIK it's been really quiet on that
front since February.

--
-Jarno