Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ma elo    09 1999 - 12:21:32 EDT

Dave Phillips discourseth:

> WRT a Linux audio distro, a friend wrote to say that he felt it was
> quite premature to plan such a beast, when so few Linux audio
> applications are truly "ready to rock". So I decided to list what is
> stable and usable on my machine. Here's a partial list of what I've come
> up with:

[...]
> Oolaboola

Woowoo! In self-promotional news, oola is opensound.com's killer app
of the month!

> and actually a bunch of other small progs. So what would you add
> to/delete from that list ? Are we shy of our projected distribution ?

I notice that you list cdj on your page as a program you haven't
tried (or haven't been able to try). It works for me. :)

Now `stable and usable' may not be entirely the same thing as `ready
to rock'. For example, the last kooBase I checked couldn't record
midi input, your friend might consider something like that `unready'.
(Please note that I *do* appreciate the kooBase effort; to criticize
is easy, to create is hard.) Similarly, oolaboola can't yet handle
mp3 (it's coming on the equinox :)

Actually, I must admit that I find a stock linux kernel unready for
real-time use. Patches are in the works, but it may be a long time
before they are in the standard kernel.

So, I'd say that a CD of current material would be like a snapshot of
the slingshot of linux multimedia being drawn back..the release is yet
to come.

That's my couple of denarii, :)

Eric