Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: ti elo    10 1999 - 11:45:25 EDT

Paul Winkler wrote:

> I was just looking at M. Gogins' license for Silence at:
> http://www.pipeline.com/~gogins/Silence/Silence.htm#License
> NOtice that he uses the GPL but then adds a $100 download fee for any
> "non-personal" useage. Unusual. Would this be a problem? I can't really
> figure it out. Might be a good idea to write to him before including
> Silence in anything.

Perhaps Michael could clarify this point for us ? It is an odd rider,
particularly considering his dedication to providing Silence in a very
open-source package. He was very quick to remove the proprietary stuff
from Silence, and that move enabled Silence for Linux (and I assume
other platforms with Java).

> > and actually a bunch of other small progs.
>
> Most notably SoX. Love it or loathe it, it's hard to avoid using SoX!

Yep, gotta have sox...

> ...I'd like to see nearly
> everything on that list developed a bit further before making a distro
> out of it. In particular I'd like so see one of the truly-free sequencer
> projects (not Jazz++) get to a stage of real production useability:
> working midi input and output, etc. Anyone know when the much-fabled
> Rosegarden 3.0 might arise? 2.1 looked promising but didn't seem to work
> very well ... And what's up with Cantor? No new version in a long
> time...

Rosegarden is in CVS, but at last gander Chris Cannam was in China.
Projects without leaders tend to languish.

> I was just at a friends' house playing with 303seq on a windoze box.
> Very fun little proggy. Sort of like SoftWerk only not. Would be a cool
> thing to clone and/or make obsolete!

Have you played with either freebirth or Green Box ? Nice apps, great
fun.

== Dave Phillips

       http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
   http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/Linux-soundapp/linux_soundapps.html