Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio/Music CD: Where things stand now...
From: Stefan Nitschke (nitschke_AT_fzi.de)
Date: ti elo    10 1999 - 05:21:12 EDT

> Actually, I must admit that I find a stock linux kernel unready for
> real-time use. Patches are in the works, but it may be a long time
> before they are in the standard kernel.

Just, a question:
I read several mails about linux and real-time audio. Things about
drop outs, bad latancy, ....

I wonder a little bit about ... RTSynth e.g. runs just fine on my linux 2.2.x
system without any dropouts and a very fast response. It uses a fragment size
of 256/512 bytes (mono/stereo). On linux 2.0.x I tried out a fragment size down
to 64 bytes without any problems.
I use a patched MAD/Mozart kernel-OSS-driver and a MiroPCM12-PnP sound card.

- Stefan