Re: [linux-audio-dev] My 2 cents (contd.)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] My 2 cents (contd.)
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: ke elo    11 1999 - 08:49:00 EDT

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Adam Zygmunt wrote:

> Compilation issues: I have recently tried to compile some of this
> alpha-level software and have had less than spectacular results. I'm using

This seems to be a common problem. I've tried to keep this in mind
while developing my programs, but it's difficult to avoid these
things.

> true of whatever latest-and-greatest glibc is out there. I'm willing to
> test and debug software, but not at the expense of making the rest
> of my system flaky. To try to get some of this stuff up and running,
> I installed glibc-2.1 from RH6.0 on a machine yesterday, and
> suddenly xfstt stopped working, which kept X from opening, and

Glibc has sure caused a lot of confusion. I guess glibc was adopted
too early by major linux distributions. Glibc versions >=2.0.6 were
classified as "production quality" while 2.1.x series is said to be
"ready for mainstream use". So hopefully these problems will slowly
disappear as more people upgrade to 2.1.x.

> the nightmare with Gnome for a while, where this app insisted on
> gtk-1.1.5, while the other one insisted on gtk-1.1.7, while the GIMP would
> have none of this and wanted 1.0. Personally, it's a real drag to have to

This is one big advantage of Qt. You don't have this kind of trouble
with it as Qt developers are _really_ careful with binary and source
compatibility.

> 4. Compiler-independence. Avoid compilation options that are known to be
> incompatible between egcs-1.0/egcs-1.1/pgcc/gcc-2.8. When in doubt, expect
> the earliest-version compiler that will work. If someone could please

Hopefully the new gcc 2.95 will solve most of these problems, as it
combines the gcc and egcs projects. It also makes C++ development
easier. Previously you had a quite a mess with gcc, egcs, libstdc++,
libg++, ... Now gcc 2.95 is all you need. At least for me, using
older versions of gcc/egcs is not an option as they don't work well
with some C++ features. C++ exceptions are a good example of this. If
you choose not to use them because the compiler can't handle them,
you'll have to make _major_ changes to your software.

> 5. The KISS principle. Make something that works and is useful before
> adding all sorts of incomplete bits and pieces of your grand killer app. A
> plug-in architecture, I think, is a good example of this. It would be one

I disagree with you on this. Time is what all open-source developers are
short of and this is why plug-in architecture is important. This is also
why libaudiofile, libsndfile and others have helped linux audio so much.

--
Kai Vehmanen ----------------------------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 : email                                 mailto:kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi