Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?
From: Eli Brandt (eli_AT_v.gp.cs.cmu.edu)
Date: ke elo    11 1999 - 14:06:24 EDT

Adam Zygmunt wrote:
> Not to be snotty, but this reminds me of the old joke, "Doctor, it hurts
> when I do this." "So don't do that!" My take is that we may actually have
> some helpful hints for making a software sequencer - avoid disk access in
> the synth, and avoid taxing the CPU.

Which would mean that Linux couldn't support DAW software -- needs to
a) stream many tracks off disk, and b) run them through CPU-intensive
plugins. I don't feel that "don't do that then" is acceptable
indefinitely as a workaround for OS performance bugs with these
consequences.

A vanilla 2.2 installation has possibly the crummiest timing of any
widely-used OS. W98 has problems, oh yeah, but at least disk access
doesn't hammer timing like this. (Well, but the sliding menus do.)
This issue deserves the attention it's now getting.

I wish I had the expertise to go through the kernel nailing RT bugs.
The least I can do is help make a lot of noise so the work being done
by others is noticed and maybe merged into the kernel eventually.

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/