Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?
From: rob (rob_AT_kaybee.org)
Date: ke elo    11 1999 - 15:38:37 EDT

> A vanilla 2.2 installation has possibly the crummiest timing of any
> widely-used OS. W98 has problems, oh yeah, but at least disk access
> doesn't hammer timing like this. (Well, but the sliding menus do.)
> This issue deserves the attention it's now getting.
>
> I wish I had the expertise to go through the kernel nailing RT bugs.
> The least I can do is help make a lot of noise so the work being done
> by others is noticed and maybe merged into the kernel eventually.

        the reason linux has crappy timing is because the kernel is
non-reenterant and can hold onto the processor for relatively long periods
of times servicing disk access, etc (iirc).
        the rt problem on the other hand has already been solved by the
kids at the rtlinux project. (it would be a huge pain to modify the
kernel itself to be reenterant which is why they didn't do that). you can
get pretty near microsecond timing with some jitter. the hard part is
that you don't have access to alot of the normal kernel services.
        basically everything is avialable in one form or another...rt
support, high-end audio cards, sequencer, daw stuff--it just needs to be
put together into a system, which is a quite complex software endeavor.

                                rob

---
Rob Melby
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: rob_AT_kaybee.org, gt4255a_AT_prism.gatech.edu