Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?
From: Benjamin GOLINVAUX (golinvaux_AT_benjamin.net)
Date: to elo    12 1999 - 01:26:39 EDT

> basically everything is avialable in one form or another...rt
>support, high-end audio cards, sequencer, daw stuff--it just needs to
be
>put together into a system, which is a quite complex software
endeavor.

I would add that drivers are still lacking... Can you give me an
example of a high-end
card that is fully supported under Linux ? I mean, with full duplex and
every inputs and outputs working together (be it digital, analog or
both) ?

And even if some drivers exist, they need to be rewritten for RTlinux.

It is a huge workload (if not impossible, being given how reluctant
card manufacturers are to give away specs... really seem they are
afraid to sell less cards if doing so...).

I know this is _not_ the place to advocate another OS, and I _love_
Linux open source model and stability. I'd dream to have my full suite
of dev tools, modelers, and real-time 3D software under Linux but I
switched to BeOS because I want to have good latency before I get too
old ;-)

All the delicate timing kernel issues are being solved by BeOS R4(.5.1)
and I think audio developers wanting to code audio stuff instead of
drivers and kernel patches should try BeOS (furthermore, the GUI API is
fantastic).

I'm not pessimistic, I just say a good Linux evolution for audio will
take a huge time to be available with decent drivers and... I don't
want to wait anymore...

Good luck.

Benjamin GOLINVAUX