Re: [linux-audio-dev] IDEvil?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] IDEvil?
From: Henk Slager (hslager_AT_worldonline.nl)
Date: pe elo    13 1999 - 06:31:56 EDT

>Eli Brandt discourseth:
>> rob wrote:
>> > the reason linux has crappy timing is because the kernel is
>> > non-reenterant and can hold onto the processor for relatively long
periods
>> > of times servicing disk access, etc (iirc).
>>
>> Yeah, the IDE drivers are reported to be tools of the devil in this
>> respect.
>
>I used to think so, but lots of recent testing has convinced me that
>this needn't be the case as long as DMA is supported for both your
>drive and IDE chipset.
>
>Eric

I experienced the opposite. If I use PIO for HD transfers, then no gaps are
in the sound stream. With DMA (DMA mode 2 or UDMA33 ?), all HD transfers
hold the sound sample stream. This is with SuSE 6.1, EPoX MB + AMDK6-2,
DiamondMAX HD, SB16 VE (Vibra16 chip) and OSS driver. Under W9x the same
happens. I think the VIA MVP3 chipset in combination with the 8-bit DMA only
transfers of the Vibra16 chip is the bottleneck.
An Intel Endeavor P133 (SB16 onboard, SuSE 6.1 ) does not have this
problems.