Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: pe elo    13 1999 - 18:56:56 EDT

Stefan Nitschke wrote:
> I was offline for some days...
> Seems that i am a lucky man. I have scsi drives and no agp graphic card
> and can run a rt application together with wmmon,wmtime,... and some
> other programs without any problems. I also tried running RTsynth
> and several gcc's compiling some stuff. This results in a system load
> of over 6 and still have no audio dropouts.
> I have not yet tested large files, no space on my drives to do some
> harddsic recording. Do profesionals use a PC for harddisk recording??

There are a number of PC based harddisk recording systems. I think
most of them recommend the use of SCSI disks for audio data. IDE
drives are find for the OS and programs themselves but not the
data which requires low latency access.

> On the other hand: Linux is not a RT-multimedia system

Neither is windows but it is being used as such.

> so I never
> tried to run a software synth together with e.g. a video streamer
> and did never expect that this will work... if Linux will become
> a real RT-system some day. ..

I seem to remember hearing that improved RT response was one of
the things Linus was hoping for with version 3.0

Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
Complex problems have simple easy to understand wrong answers.