Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?
From: Eli Brandt (eli_AT_v.gp.cs.cmu.edu)
Date: ma elo    16 1999 - 10:50:21 EDT

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> There are a number of PC based harddisk recording systems. I think
> most of them recommend the use of SCSI disks for audio data. IDE
> drives are find for the OS and programs themselves but not the
> data which requires low latency access.

I don't have one myself, but I lurk on the PC-DAW mailing list
(http://www.missionrec.com/pcdaw.html) gathering information for when
I break down and buy a post-486 computer.

Many people there use IDE for their audio drives. It means more CPU
involvement, and people do seem to spend a lot of time fiddling with
their IDE drivers, but it can be made to work.

> I seem to remember hearing that improved RT response was one of
> the things Linus was hoping for with version 3.0

Is there a web page that summarizes the Linux RT situation? I could
put together the information I've seen, but right now somebody else
would have to be the one to keep it up to date.

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/