Re: [linux-audio-dev] a late reply to the 'What do we need now' thread... (sndlib)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a late reply to the 'What do we need now' thread... (sndlib)
From: Bill Schottstaedt (bil_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: ma elo    16 1999 - 09:02:21 EDT

> The library is lacking
> a proper Makefile and autoconf features, so again, if Bill agrees
> or does'nt want to do it himself I can offer my help to build these
> files and also a cvs repository for it (at the end of august).

Gee, I'd love help!! No one had previously asked for it, but now
that it's an issue, I'll see if I can conjure something up -- the
Snd configure stuff should work; just delete all the Motif references.
I looked at libtool, but didn't get very far with it.

> b) it's documented;

Now I'm embarassed -- the sndlib documentation needs about a year
of work!

On the libsndfile vs sndlib business, I am uncomfortable with this
entire situation; I don't want to get into a long debate, but (groan),
at least I'll respond briefly:

It's being worked on coninuously -- look at sndlib.h for some details.

> 2) sndlib needs to have automake/autoconf support added while libsndfile
> already has it

no problem...

> 3) libsndfile has more comprehensive error reporting

maybe so -- I should check what you've done; I've received
no complaints on this score.

> 4) libsndfile has thorough regression tests (distributed with the library)
> of nearly all library functionality

I guess the difference here is that sndlib's "thorough regression tests"
are distributed with CLM and Snd.

> 1) An interface is designed to limit name space pollution. All libsndfile
> functions are named sf_* and all constants are named SF_*

Most sndlib names now start with "SNDLIB" or "mus" -- a few holdovers still
use "audio" or "sound". I doubt it pollutes anyone's name space.

I could list sndlib's high points and start a flame war, but, geez you guys,
I'm doing this because I love messing around with sounds, not to "compete"
with anyone. I'd even be willing to discuss a merger of libraries, or,
if Mr Castro Lopo wants, he can use any of my code he likes -- for example,
there's a high quality sample rate converter.