Re: [linux-audio-dev] a late reply to the 'What do we need now' thread... (sndlib)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a late reply to the 'What do we need now' thread... (sndlib)
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ma elo    16 1999 - 10:13:12 EDT

Bill Schottstaedt discourseth:

> I looked at libtool, but didn't get very far with it.

It's scary.

> On the libsndfile vs sndlib business, I am uncomfortable with this
> entire situation; I don't want to get into a long debate, but (groan),
> at least I'll respond briefly:

You know, these self-descriptions are valuable as a first-pass for
people who are trying to evaluate packages for their own use..so much
code out there.

> Most sndlib names now start with "SNDLIB" or "mus" -- a few holdovers still
> use "audio" or "sound". I doubt it pollutes anyone's name space.

..but it could. One prefix per library frees up more of my brain. :)

> I could list sndlib's high points and start a flame war, but, geez you guys,
> I'm doing this because I love messing around with sounds, not to "compete"
> with anyone. I'd even be willing to discuss a merger of libraries, or,
> if Mr Castro Lopo wants, he can use any of my code he likes -- for example,
> there's a high quality sample rate converter.

src? Could you provide just a little documentation on it?

Thanks,

Eric