[linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: ma elo    16 1999 - 12:27:04 EDT

Greetings:

  I received some further communication from Dr. Hammer regarding Mix
and some of its capabilities. I will incorporate some of his
elucidations into the documentation, which I have been revising and
bringing up to date.

  A few things to mention now:

        1. The Regions code is unusable and Dr. Hammer suggests we eliminate it
entirely. However, support for regions is very desirable: could that be
a project for someone ?

        2. The Csound variable does indeed work on SGI machines, which are
apparently able to allow multiple simultaneous access to a single
device. The problem with getting that to work under Linux is that the
device is owned by a single app. I agree with Nicola that the feature
could be useful, but I don't think it's going to work with the OSS/Free
or OSS/Linux drivers. Perhaps with ALSA ? Can someone clarify that for
me ?

        3. As already announced, we can place Mix under the GPL. Dr. Hammer has
asked though that we indicate that the decision to allow this was due
not only to himself but also to his colleagues at NoTAM. We should
therefore give proper credit to NoTAM as well to Dr. Hammer. Ultimately
(IMO, of course) we should offer NoTAM any Linux versions we create.
They already have a Linux directory for ftp of some of the early ports,
but it is out of date now.

  Finally, can anyone suggest to me how I could test Mix's network
connecivity with a standalone machine ?

  I will check the MIDI functions later today.

== Dave Phillips

       http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
   http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/Linux-soundapp/linux_soundapps.html