[linux-audio-dev] a late reply to the 'What do we need now' thread...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] a late reply to the 'What do we need now' thread...
From: Nicola Bernardini (nicb_AT_axnet.it)
Date: su elo    15 1999 - 05:25:55 EDT

Dear all,

sorry to be so late on the 'What we need now' thread... I felt that
everything was being said so no need for further comments. I really
agree with everything and really appreciated the work Dave is doing
to try and keep all of us together - a really important job.

Just a couple of comments:

1) I tried Mix - though still growing and with a lot to do, it is *really*
   impressive; I urge all those that have'nt tried it yet to try it.
   I can see that something like this could quickly become very useful
   to many of us (sort of a linux pro-tools, if I may say so). Another
   great job of Dr.Hammer, with impressive add-ons from Guenter Geiger
   and Reine (?). I think that all of us who can collaborate on this
   project should try to. On my side, I can do the usual autoconf routine
   (which I did for unofficial csound - and maybe a little better since
   I learned how to do it :) and set up a cvs repository for it (towards
   the end of august, though) if it's deemed necessary. And by the
   end of september I should be a little freer to contribute more
   specific code... (please don't flame me for discovering mix *only* now...)

2) among all the difficult things we should do (like convincing hardware
   manufacturers that, like open source, open hardware *is* better),
   there's a fairly easy one we should try: converge on 'the' sound
   library for linux, retrofit all applications with it, and maintain
   it as a separate entity so that all application may enjoy free upgrades
   as we upgrade the library. Among the many excellent ones I've seen
   around, currently I feel that Bill Schottstaedt's is the one we should
   go with for several reasons: a) it's simple (or at least it *looks*
   simple, which is even better); b) it's documented; c) it covers pretty
   much basic 'pro' features already (unlimited file length, buffering,
   audio hardware independent handling, etc.). The library is lacking
   a proper Makefile and autoconf features, so again, if Bill agrees
   or does'nt want to do it himself I can offer my help to build these
   files and also a cvs repository for it (at the end of august).

More small comments.

Sep 2019!, Guenter Geiger mi scrisse cio` che segue:

[snip - using the csound feature in Mix]
> > So I wondered: Is it at all possible to make that work in Linux Mix ?
> > I loaded the esound daemon, but playback froze and output no audio
> > anyway. I'd like to be able to do this trick: any suggestions ?
>
> IMO It's not easy without changing csound sources.
> I don't see the usefulness of this feature either, as the result of
> the csound session won't be saved in the resulting mix.

I personally think that this could be *extremely* useful: use
csound as a plug-in effect to modify tracks in Mix! can you imagine?
I think we just need to think it over a little bit, and perhaps the
result could be *much* better that what we expect.

Friday, Dave Phillips mi scrisse cio` che segue:

[snip]
> Just to correct my mistake, here's a response from Bill Schottstaedt
> regarding Snd:
>
> "Snd can handle any size file already, and has from the beginning. It
> also has elaborate support for edit lists."

Right. And Snd uses sndlib...

I apologize for the time taken...
ciao

nicb
Nicola Bernardini
E-mail: nicb_AT_axnet.it

Re graphics: A picture is worth 10K words -- but only those to describe
the picture. Hardly any sets of 10K words can be adequately described
with pictures.