Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: ma elo    16 1999 - 21:00:33 EDT

Nicola Bernardini wrote:

> maybe I'm not understanding much of Mix yet, but the way I see it
> is that csound could be a nice way to process an audio file that
> has been added into the Mix board, regulating its input with the
> AUX bus. In this case, we would just need to work out a way to communicate
> between Mix and csound - and I don't think that would be very complicated:
> don't forget I already added IPC communication to unofficial csound
> to implement sliders (I did it some months ago and had to stop because
> I was too busy - I still plan to add sliders) and the code is still
> buried there. To add communication for samples would not be too difficult,
> and this may not even be the simpler solution.

As it stands now Mix merely calls Csound in this manner (in mix.c):

       if (catchup==0) {
         sprintf(streng, "csound -o devaudio %s.orc %s.sco &", value,
value);
         system(streng);
       }
       break;

Crude, yes. But it is dependent on multiple processes being able to
access the same device, something apparently easy for SGI iron but not
so simple under Linux. I understand that EsounD (esd) does it, but I
think that Csound would have to become esd-aware, and I don't know how
that's done.

> > Finally, can anyone suggest to me how I could test Mix's network
> > connecivity with a standalone machine ?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean... I guess I'll have to study some more.

Under the Settings menu there is an item called Internet Slaves. Opening
this item calls a window with entry boxes for host names and check boxes
for activating and accepting connections to the hosts. I just want to
test whatever it is that this feature does.

== Dave Phillips

       http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
   http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/Linux-soundapp/linux_soundapps.html