Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix
From: Adam Zygmunt (azygmun_AT_bgnet.bgsu.edu)
Date: ti elo    17 1999 - 10:14:28 EDT

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Dave Phillips wrote:

I realize this was discussed a little while back, but what version of
lesstif is best for Mix? I've tried .87 so far, and although it compiles
fine, the display was kind of screwed. Everything was crammed on the left
side, with lots of blank on the right. Not to mention the lesstif file
browser was as tricky as always (i.e. not quite resizing itself properly,
needs REALLY FAST double-clicks, and so on). I wasn't able to play back
anything, either, but then I probably just didn't have something checked.
By the way, how does mix handle stereo files? The bussing for that on
    Speaking of lesstif, any ambitious person out there up for ditching it
from the mix code? Anything I've run with it (any version) seems clunky at
best, and there are so many more better API's to choose from now. Rumor
has it that even Mozilla is ditching Motif in favor of GTK for the next
Unix Netscape release. One of these days I'm really going to dig into it
to write an application to scratch a particular itch of mine, namely a
MIDI patch librarian. I used to be able to just do this with cat
/dev/midi00 > patchfile and hit the send button on my keyboard, but the
default blocking/buffering behavior is different for my new soundcard
(Ensoniq 1371-based) in both the OSS and ALSA drivers.

> Crude, yes. But it is dependent on multiple processes being able to
> access the same device, something apparently easy for SGI iron but not
> so simple under Linux. I understand that EsounD (esd) does it, but I
> think that Csound would have to become esd-aware, and I don't know how
> that's done.

I haven't looked at its library, but I can't imagine esound support would
be too tricky to add. It might be nice, too. The situation I see with
esound though, is that's it's an all or nothing deal, as it steals the
card all the time, that being its job. I personally vote for making as
many applications esound-aware as possible (at least non-realtime
dependent ones), unless its performance really isn't up to snuff, if only
because it seems like the most efficient way to allow multiple
applications to access the soundcard at this point. It might help out the
OSS/ALSA question, too, as only esd would need to handle the low-level
stuff for both.
    By the way, does mix allow one to cue up the various audio files at
different times, or do they all start at once? Sorry if this is a stupid
question, but I haven't had much luck getting it to run properly. Looks
quite a bit more useful than it did a few months ago, though.

Thanks for any help,
Adam Zygmunt