Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Nicola Bernardini's sound file library comments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Nicola Bernardini's sound file library comments
From: Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu (umbpux_AT_tin.it)
Date: ti elo    17 1999 - 12:32:52 EDT

Hello Erik. Hello all.

I'd like only to express my modest opinion, hoping you don't take
it as void critics.

Like resampling, there are other services that you probably included or
will include in your library (various sample type conversions, channel
mixing/splitting), that could be used outside the sound file I/O
context. It would be nice if the API permitted, say, to convert an audio
buffer that the application just received from the audiocard's DAC and
so on.
Abstract Audio was growing this way.
Maybe I'm boring but: your work has some points of contact with other
kind of audio libraries (thinking of ESD, sox, networked audio and the
library developed by the music-dsp people), why duplicate the code
(=time spent, bugs, etc.)?

Such kind of modular approach could have nice side-effects. For example:
I almost always use C++ and would like a real object oriented API for an
audio file library, so I could think of writing it on top of your one (I
really don't like to abort my projects...).

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Is there documentation on SGI's implementation somewhere?
When I was working to Abstract Audio, Michael Pruett kindly sent me a
copy of the SGI IRIX audio file library man pages. Recently I saw that
he put a link to a downloadable copy of the same docs in the AFL home
page:

http://www.68k.org/~michael/audiofile

Hope this helps. Good work.

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu