Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Nicola Bernardini's sound file librarycomments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Nicola Bernardini's sound file librarycomments
From: Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu (umbpux_AT_tin.it)
Date: ke elo    18 1999 - 14:42:00 EDT

Paul Winkler wrote:

> rob wrote:
> > what about letting it play virtual files so to speak. create
> > arbitrary regions in multiple (or the same) files and a play list
> > assembled from the region id's. you can simulate direct access, huge-file
> > handling, speedy deletes (delete first 2megs of a 100 meg file, etc), and
> > large undo buffers with this. all operations would be done upon a flush
> > or close.
>
> Yes, please!!! I don't know enough to know if this approach will work
> technically, but anything that lets me delete or modify just a bit of a
> huge file without waiting for ages and ages... that would be a godsend.

I don't know if there are linux sound editors that work this way but
it's a "standard"
technique called "non-destructive editing".

You open the rob's 100 Mbyte audio file but when you, say, delete a
fragment it is not physically deleted. The editor just remember to skip
that block when playing the file. Same thing for adding a block: the
editor plays up to the block start then opens another file, plays a
block from that, then continue with the first. Mixing is done on the fly
and so on. From time to time you have to freeze changes and make them
physically but in the meantime you can try deleting 1.2 seconds,
playing, undoing, deleting 1.15, playing seconds...
I wrote an audio file player with region handling based on
AbstractAudio.

Umberto