Re: [linux-audio-dev] Snd and file sizes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Snd and file sizes
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: to elo    19 1999 - 09:14:26 EDT

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Just wanted to say that KWave and XWave can handle large files but
> those programs might be otherwise limited. At least XWave cannot do
> effects on very large files -- it applies effects only in memory.

I've just finished profiling KWave for my book. I've used it before, but
looking at again (and learning that it will handle large files) I must
say it's a nicely impressive work. The use of Qt graphics is excellent.
Filter design and synthesis generation both include displays which are
updated as the parameter controls are manipulated. Although only at
version 0.29.7 it has a decent complement of effects processors and some
other rather interesting features.

Unfortunately it's been a while since the author (Martin Wilz) has taken
KWave any further. I intend to contact him and find whether he plans to
continue development.

But of course what I'm *really* waiting for is Juhana's editor... ;)

== Dave Phillips

       http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
   http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/Linux-soundapp/linux_soundapps.html