Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Nicola Bernardini's sound file library comments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Nicola Bernardini's sound file library comments
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: to elo    19 1999 - 17:26:06 EDT

Nicola Bernardini wrote:

> Yesterday, Erik de Castro Lopo mi scrisse cio` che segue:
>
> [snip]
> > One of the things I have on my TODO list is to make libsndfile work
> > so it can read and write pipes. Unfortunately, once one has started
> > writing a large amount of data to a pipe it is not possible to fseek ()
> > back to the beginning of the file and correct the header like one can
> > with regular files. I see no way around this problem.
>
> how does a pager like 'less' do? less can read infinitely large
> files from a pipe and go back and forth. Or am I wrong?

Interesting observation Nicola! On read from a pipe it may well be
possible to seek back an forth thru the whole file. Write however
is quite a different matter. Once I get pipes working I'll do some
experimentation.

Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
Windows NT : An evolutionary dead end.