Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: pe elo    20 1999 - 07:21:46 EDT

Paul Winkler wrote:

> Has it occurred to anyone but me that, at the moment, the functionality
> of mix is a subset of the functionality of csound? And that, since Mix
> stores your work as a simple (even human-readable) text file, a
> mix-to-csound translation utility is theoretically possible?
>
> To create such a utility, one would have to:
> 1) Write a Csound orchestra that can do everything Mix can do.
> 2) Write a script (Perl? Python? Whatever?) that translates mixfiles
> into a score that can be used with this special Csound orc.

Paul, I'm not sure I wouldn't just use C instead of all that glue.
However, following your example, I think it's a pretty cool idea. I
might just have to mess around with it...

> ...One could conceivable create a Csound-based soundfile
> editor that does totally non-destructive "editing" by using diskin with
> different skip times. Rendering a waveform display of your edits would
> be an interesting problem.

Well, Csound already has simple hooks into X displays, so perhaps it
isn't really all that difficult. And there's the CLM/Snd connection to
look at too.

== Dave Phillips

       http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
   http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/Linux-soundapp/linux_soundapps.html