Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: pe elo    20 1999 - 12:12:00 EDT

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Paul Winkler wrote:
>
> > Has it occurred to anyone but me that, at the moment, the functionality
> > of mix is a subset of the functionality of csound? And that, since Mix
> > stores your work as a simple (even human-readable) text file, a
> > mix-to-csound translation utility is theoretically possible?
> >
> > To create such a utility, one would have to:
> > 1) Write a Csound orchestra that can do everything Mix can do.
> > 2) Write a script (Perl? Python? Whatever?) that translates mixfiles
> > into a score that can be used with this special Csound orc.
>
> Paul, I'm not sure I wouldn't just use C instead of all that glue.
> However, following your example, I think it's a pretty cool idea. I
> might just have to mess around with it...

I honestly think "all that glue" leaves you with less to deal with than
just using C. For instance, both Csound and the common scripting
languages deal with all memory allocation for you. And Csound is pretty
well-developed and documented and understood by lots of people. I hear
people on this list talking about separating the "engine" from the
interface; why not use an engine that already exists? When Quasimodo
reaches a point of reasonable stability, maybe one could use Q instead.

Not that I'm saying Csound could be used for just anything... its
conditional branching syntax is pretty ancient. Personally I find that
once I have more than a couple of "goto"s in a csound orc, I have a hard
time keeping track of what's actually going on. Hey, PBD, is it too much
to hope that Quasimodo will have such things as "while" and "for"
statements? Or allow other results of "if" than "goto"? That would
probably complicate backwards compatibility, but it might be worth it.

And I do admit the "wave editor" idea is probably a stretch.

> Well, Csound already has simple hooks into X displays, so perhaps it
> isn't really all that difficult. And there's the CLM/Snd connection to
> look at too.

That might be a better way to go. Except then you have to understand
LISP. One of these days I'll try it...

--

---------------- paul winkler ------------------ slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.

zarmzarm_AT_hotmail.com --or-- slinkp AT ulster DOT net http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/ ======================================================