Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Mix
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: pe elo    20 1999 - 12:51:57 EDT

Paul Winkler discourseth:

> > > To create such a utility, one would have to:
> > > 1) Write a Csound orchestra that can do everything Mix can do.
> > > 2) Write a script (Perl? Python? Whatever?) that translates mixfiles
> > > into a score that can be used with this special Csound orc.
> >
> > Paul, I'm not sure I wouldn't just use C instead of all that glue.
> > However, following your example, I think it's a pretty cool idea. I
> > might just have to mess around with it...
>
> I honestly think "all that glue" leaves you with less to deal with than
> just using C.

Well, presumably mix can parse its mixfiles? If so, then it might be
easiest to add an option to mix to generate a .sco file, *or* to dump
the mix file in a form that can be even more easily and reliably
converted by (e.g.) a perl script. Maybe that's what Dave was
thinking..in any case, it occured to me. :)

> > Well, Csound already has simple hooks into X displays, so perhaps it
> > isn't really all that difficult. And there's the CLM/Snd connection to
> > look at too.
>
> That might be a better way to go. Except then you have to understand
> LISP. One of these days I'll try it...

..ah, and lisp will change the way you think and program forever. :)

Eric