Re: [linux-audio-dev] sequencing..Symbolic Control Protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sequencing..Symbolic Control Protocol
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: la elo    21 1999 - 20:13:12 EDT

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:

> I'm totally into this approach. I think a canonical textual
> representation is useful as well.

I tend to worry about tying a protocol to a single language, although it
can have its benefits. However, when you're talking about streaming, a
language like scheme (which supports loops and functions, inherently
nonlinear concepts) would be even more inappropriate than XML.

Have you seen SKINI? My favorite prof, Perry Cook came up with it as
a textual representation for MIDI (and then some). It is used directly by
his Synthesis Toolkit (see either Princeton or CCRMA), but can easily be
translated to/from MIDI and other streaming event protocols. I wouldn't
call it perfect by any means, but it wouldn't be a terrible place to
start.

Div.