Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin format

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin format
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: ke elo    25 1999 - 11:28:10 EDT

David Olofson wrote:

> Will look at Xmms. Do you know of a site/doc with specs, or where I can
> get source easiest? (Will look around - just wondering if you have a
> link handy.)

        http://www.xmms.org

Guenter is still polishing his plug-in API. He'll probably announce its
completion here.

> Certainly. Now that Ingo Molnar have hacked the kernel where Benno
> Senoner found latency problems, and we're approaching BeOS class
> performance, we'll probably hear from developers and vendors.

I didn't realize there was another active linux-sound mail list where
Alan Cox hangs out. Can anyone direct me to subscription information ?

> ...BeOS will be history. (Nice OS,
> but it's still proprietary, and I have seen to many of those die,
> regardless of their qualities... I will not go there.)

As nice as it looks, its closed-source nature is a major turn-off for
me. I've also not seen the expected flood of great applications expected
for it. If Linux can resolve latency and filesystem problems affecting
audio, then our platform will indeed become much more attractive to
professional developers. But they're going to want to see the money
trail...

== Dave Phillips

       http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
   http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/Linux-soundapp/linux_soundapps.html