Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin format

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin format
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti elo    24 1999 - 23:12:54 EDT

Dave Phillips wrote:
(...)
> I haven't yet investigated the Xmms model, but Guenter Geiger has
> developed a straightforward model for his version of Mix.

Downloading Guenter's code... Might find a few cool ideas. :-)

Will look at Xmms. Do you know of a site/doc with specs, or where I can
get source easiest? (Will look around - just wondering if you have a
link handy.)

> Plug-in architectures abound, but you're right in claiming we should
> have a standard. I think it will happen, it's an important-enough topic.

Certainly. Now that Ingo Molnar have hacked the kernel where Benno
Senoner found latency problems, and we're approaching BeOS class
performance, we'll probably hear from developers and vendors. And
providing an easy way in, and a way to make all future Linux audio
applications and plug-ins cooperate nicely (as opposed the the normal
case with Windoze and MacOS...), means BeOS will be history. (Nice OS,
but it's still proprietary, and I have seen to many of those die,
regardless of their qualities... I will not go there.)

//David