Re: [linux-audio-dev] convolution reverb ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] convolution reverb ?
From: Eli Brandt (eli_AT_v.gp.cs.cmu.edu)
Date: ke elo    25 1999 - 12:06:43 EDT

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Csound does pretty decent convolution, and my Csound Resources page
> lists some sources for impulse response files. You do have to be careful
> about amplitudes, but yes, the results are worth the time waiting.
> Convolution seems a bit beyond realtime at this point, at least for my
> machine. Does anyone know of research or implementation of realtime
> audio convolution ?

http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/aurora/waveconv.htm
describes (commercial) software that does 1-megapoint convolution in
real time on a p5/200. (There's some other very snazzy-sounding stuff
in that package, too.)

Specifics are not mentioned, so I suspect "in real time" means just
that -- streaming processing -- with the usual delay from block-FFT
convolution. You can get the delay down as low as you want by using
staggered blocks of increasing length, as described in Bill Gardner's
"Efficient convolution without input-output delay":
http://sound.media.mit.edu/people/billg/projects.html

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+@cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/