Re: [linux-audio-dev] And Yo, What's Audiality!?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] And Yo, What's Audiality!?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke elo    25 1999 - 18:25:40 EDT

Paul Winkler wrote:
(...)
> David, I read your posts and checked out your site. If you actually meet
> your design goals (and I have no reason to think you won't), this will
> be very, very, VERY cool.

I think so to... That's what keeps me hacking through the nights. :-)

> And in my perpetual role as luser-on-the-dev.-list, I must ask the
> obligatory annoying question:
> WHEN WILL IT BE OUT???

That's very hard to say... But given that Mingo's very firm "soft" real
time hack will simplify things a lot around the user space part, and
that there are so many hackers interested in getting something together,
it'll most likely take less time than I expected. :-)

Anyway, I'll design and hack most of the RTLinux + user space engine,
there are others who have working code that might be usable in the
multichannel streamer daemon (the part that handles hard disk recording,
that is), and maintainers of other projects have shown interest in
suporting Audiality. Further, the Audiality engine will provide virtual
audio and MIDI devices (OSS compatible) for use by any applications,
which means you'll be able to use the real time processing as soon as
there's an engine, a tool to configure the routing and run the plug-in
GUIs, and an application capable of streaming to/from multichannel audio
devices. That is, Audiality acts like a digital mixer, which you feed
the audio streams from the applications directly into.

When? Well... Months until the first "usable" release, I'd guess.
Depends on how sucessful my design becomes, and how many hackers care to
help.

//David