Re: [linux-audio-dev] Good MIDI library?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Good MIDI library?
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: to elo    26 1999 - 23:43:06 EDT

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, David J. Topper wrote:

> I'm looking for a simple / robust MIDI parser written in C to plug into
> an interface package I'm working on. I don't need something that does
> polling, I'm using GTK/GDK for that. So what I really need to be able
> to do is feed the thing some MIDI bytes, then have it tell me what they
> are (eg., NOTE_ON, NOTE_OFF, PITCH_BEND) and so forth.

I'm presuming you mean streaming MIDI messages, rather than SMF files.
I have a little library for this which I used in my MIDI toys
(http://patriot.altavista-software.com/~div/xfr/). It takes a somewhat
low level (not object oriented) approach, and is not "complete" because it
does not handle sysex events, but it works rather well. It also has the
advantage of being extremely portable and not relying on anything except
the standard C library. Plus, it's public domain, so feel free to munge
it up however you like.

Div.