Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: pe elo    27 1999 - 00:11:27 EDT

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Eli Brandt wrote:

> > I take issue with this. In CSound you specify all parameters for a note a
> > the time that it is fired. In MIDI, you add or modify parameters over
> > time after the note has been fired.
>
> That's a conceptual bug in Csound that IMO should be patched over --

Actually, I see advantages in both methods. The MIDI way is certainly
more appropriate for realtime, but Csound's approach makes many things in
synthesis much easier (or even possible). For instance, try designing a
MIDI-controlled sound that crescendos linearly from zero volume at note-on
to maximum volume at note-off. Impossible unless you can predict the
future. I guess both MIDI and Csound use models that are well-tailored to
their respective original purposes.

> CAL is far too badly designed to be used as a warning against any
> particular design approach. :-)

Good point. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

> Seems to me it's easier to ignore
> structure than it is to add it in after the fact. Say something like
>
> function delay_each_track(merged_tracks) =
> for each_track in merged_tracks,
> for each event e in each_track,
> old_e.time = e.time; output old_e
> old_e = e
>
> vs.
>
> function delay_each_track(merged_tracks) =
> for each event e in merged_tracks,
> old_e[e.track].time = e.time; output old_e[e.track]
> old_e[e.track] = e
>
> Okay, the difference is not dramatic here, but as I start wanting more
> and more temporal structure, it can either go in the data typing, or
> I the programmer have to write code that parallels and maintains it by
> hand.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't think of an example where the
difference _would_ be dramatic. It comes out about even each way --
sometimes merged is more useful, sometimes separate. Please prove me
wrong, so I can make a good decision.

Div.