Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin ideas based on Guenter's mix plugin API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin ideas based on Guenter's mix plugin API
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: pe elo    27 1999 - 02:10:04 EDT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, David Olofson wrote:

> Hmm... My plans are very different. I don't want parameters in the low
> level plug-in spec at all. There should be only time stamped events and
> data streams. Parameters are realized through an event based interface,
> which means

I've used a simple number_of/name_of/set/get_parameter approach in
ecasound and it sure is far from perfect. The biggest problem
has been to find a good balance of efficiency, flexibility and precision.
One solution works when parameters are controlled by a GUI knob,
but when you want to use high-frequency oscillators as controllers,
things change. If you can get all necessary info about supported
events straight from the plugin object, event based system might
do the job.

> IMHO, input and output signal should always be mono, because anything
> else completely breaks the flexibility of free signal routing. Unless
> you automatically throw in split/merge plugs where needed... I don't
> think that's a good idea from the performance perspective.

This is also a difficult decision. I chose to use stereo-signals.
>From musicians standpoint, this is the way to go as many effects
(reverbs, delays, panning, etc) work best when used in a stereo
context. And I don't think I'll be doing multi-channel mixes of
my music any time soon...

--
Kai Vehmanen ----------------------------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 : email                                 mailto:kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi