[linux-audio-dev] problems with plugins?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] problems with plugins?
From: reactor/CTPmedia (reactor_AT_sagv5.gyakg.u-szeged.hu)
Date: pe elo    27 1999 - 11:01:43 EDT

yo!

i just thought about it all. is it even possible to make studio-sounding
very-hi-fi stuff in realtime, with software? just take a look at Cooledit's
reverberation. on my p200, it takes 5 seconds to reverb some 2-second wave.
i know there are 1000 GHz pentium3s nowadays, but but but... :)

and if a realtime reverb plugin doesn't sound like a Lexicon, should we
bother using it? (well, i don't have money for Lexicon, that's why i'm
using pc with soundcards :))

i believe in non-realtime music-making. currently i'm in the final state
of planning my tracker that uses Csound to make the actual sound, and
it would be semi-realtime. i mean, if you pressed "play pattern", it'd
calculate your pattern to a wav and play it :) (actually "csound -odevaudio"
should/will work well, but what if the cpu power is just not enough...)

anyway, "effects" are simply non-realtime plugins? :)

--

Máté Rácz a.k.a. reactor - http://linux.gyakg.u-szeged.hu/~reactor/ CTP media - since 1995 - http://ctpmedia.scene.hu/