Re: [linux-audio-dev] problems with plugins?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] problems with plugins?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: pe elo    27 1999 - 12:01:12 EDT

reactor/CTPmedia wrote:

> yo!
>
> i just thought about it all. is it even possible to make studio-sounding
> very-hi-fi stuff in realtime, with software? just take a look at Cooledit's
> reverberation. on my p200, it takes 5 seconds to reverb some 2-second wave.

Depends on the algorithm.. Reverbs have traditionally been very
compute-intensive and slow. So you do what csounders have always done...
preview at lower resolution to speed things up, and/or substitute a
faster, simpler (and worse-sounding) effect until final rendering.

And don't discount those 1000MHz P3's... in five years I'll bet they're
pretty cheap.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.

zarmzarm_AT_hotmail.com --or-- slinkp AT ulster DOT net
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/