Re: [linux-audio-dev] we should use gtk objects for our plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] we should use gtk objects for our plugins
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: pe elo    27 1999 - 14:37:03 EDT

Guenter Geiger discourseth:
> est_AT_hyperreal.org writes:
> >
> > Interested parties should look in particular at gtkobject.[ch],
> > gtktypeutils.[ch] and gtkarg.[ch]. Doesn't it look like a plugin API?
> > :) We need only make a domain-specific sub-class.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Actually I rather agree with David in this point. In the first place
> I considered using glib too, but I guess it's not too hard to build
> the parts we need from scratch, we could snap some ideas from glib, but for a
> generally usable API depending on a library that specific is no good IMO.

I don't think the core gtk object functionality is specific to much of
anything actually. However, having looked at it further, I'm
disappointed to see that its otherwise comprehensive `arg' mechanism
doesn't support defaults or range restrictions. Also, the whole thing
is probably too heavy-weight for audio..at least for some people on
this list. :)

glib, OTOH, is a completely separate question and I'd still recommend
going with it. It provides great datatype definitions and has seen
heavy use on many platforms. Coding things from scratch has a lot
less appeal for me than it did when I was younger. It's always harder
than it seems and there are always more bugs than expected. :)

Eric