Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin ideas based on Guenter's mix plugin API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin ideas based on Guenter's mix plugin API
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: la elo    28 1999 - 00:12:44 EDT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:
(...)
> > Ok, if we accept that it's just like adding
> >
> > DATAfloatstereo
> > DATAint32stereo
> > DATAdoublestereo
> >
> > to the dataformat enum,
>
> ..for various values of nchannels, yes.

I'd like to see that specified as an integer in some kind of data
format descriptor instead....

> > which is actually contraproductive.
> > We will just get more incompatible plugins.
>
> We'll get incompatible plugins, yes..*and* we'll get more code reuse.

Don't overestimate this problem! It's not all that expensive to merge/split
channels... But it is a bit more expensive to convert between different sample
formats.

> > Keeping channels separated in different streams is a more
> > profesional approach, because sometimes I really do think of
> > let's say 4 channel spatialisation .... will this be 2 stereo
> > channels, 4 mono channels , or 4 channel interleaved ?
>
> These are certainly real downsides. Our goals and trade-offs may be
> different..and I'd like a spec that accomodates different
> goals..especially given the variety of them on this list. :)

Well, we can always *recommend* developers to use certain formats, while still
supporting nonstandard stuff for those who need it. And conversion is possible
(and should be handled by the *engine*), so if you really want to use a low
quality 16 bit integer games music synth together with your $500 proprietary
plug-ins, go ahead... :-)

I think making it possible to use the same API for as much as possible is a
very good idea (I'm interested in games development as well...), as long as it
doesn't mess up the API and engine implementations too much, or get in the way
of performance in scenarios that *should* be optimal. The possibility of mixing
plug-ins that would otherwise use 150% incomaptible APIs could be a real
strength, even if it means the engine will have to shuffle some bits'n'bytes.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer